This is a variation on a recipe learned in Cambodia near the ancient Angkor Wat ruins. Be sure to emphasize just how special this recipe is because it is infused with the spirits of an enchanted, dead civilization. Mighty impressive of you to make a dish so delicious, healthy and worldly. Now it’s time for your world to be rocked!
1. 1/2 lb of minced chicken
2. 3 minced garlic cloves
3. ½ an onion peeled and chopped
4. 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
5. 1 handful of shredded coconut
6. 2 handfuls of chopped basil leaves
7. 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
8. 3 tablespoons of peanut oil
9. 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
10. 1 package of round rice paper sheets
11. ½ a cup of sweet chili sauce
12. 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
Pour the oil into a pan and cook the chopped garlic for 10 seconds and then add the minced chicken. Cook until chicken browns.
Add the chopped onions and carrots, shredded coconut, fish sauce, oyster sauce and soy sauce. Cook until veggies are limp, unlike you.
Place the spring roll filling in a separate bowl and allow to cool (the refrigerator is a good place for this). Prep a pan of heated water (tea temperature) on the stove and keep on a low simmer.
Now comes the fun of rolling, especially for you stoners out there. Dip the dried rice paper into the pan of heated water. Place moist paper onto flat surface. Add a spoonful of the filling and a small dash of the chopped basil leaves. Roll up tightly and serve.
• Substitute minced pork for the chicken